ChristinasLair

Christina

Nor Iron Bars a Cage - Kaje Harper

This is the first non-contemporary I’ve read from Harper and I was very happy with it. She created a vivid world filled with magic and darkness. There was just enough of the magic/history/politics to get a good feel of the world, however it could have used more background/details on the sorcery and mages. There were a couple of parts that dragged, but for the most part I enjoyed the story.

First and foremost this is a story about Lyon, breaking through his stone walls (both physically and mentally), and reclaiming his life. Not always by choice, but nevertheless, he finds strength. I loved how the romance didn’t overshadow his PTSD or that he suddenly becomes healed by love.

I really liked all the characters, especially Tobin. He was understanding, tender and patient. Yes, he was just about perfect and that might irritate some, but it didn’t bother me one bit.

It was a wonderful story of friendship and courage.