ChristinasLair

Christina

rock

rock - Anyta Sunday First off, I want to say how much I loved Cooper’s voice. He was relatable and simply adorable, especially young Cooper. I thought the writing was wonderful and absolutely loved the idea that something as simple as a rock could help Cooper, not only deal with his life, but also store each and every one of his memories. His needs, wants, desires, and fears are all laid bare in his rocks. It was a wonderful way to follow him on his journey.

Cooper doesn't have an easy life and when he meets Jace, it’s been turned upside down. They slowly develop a beautiful friendship that begins to turn into more. Not only did the story feel authentic (most of the time), but so did the all the characters. I loved every single one of them!

I truly believed in their story. However, at the half way mark it took a bothersome turn. Many things can keep a couple apart and yes, there was drama in this book that threatened to keep Cooper and Jace apart. For the most part, it felt natural, all until this one incident. It’s one thing to be afraid of the truth, but it’s a whole other situation to ignore it and live your life in the dark. I understand they were young, and kids make mistakes and wrong decisions all the time. I get that, but this felt unnecessary and I felt it was only there to prolong the angst. I think the story would have been much stronger without it. For those of you that have read this, I’m referring to the DNA results. GAH!!!!! How could they not open it! I don’t get it.

This really was a sticking point for me and aggravated me. I couldn't fathom anyone ignoring this issue and living in anguish all those years. It doesn't make sense to me. So, because of this the last 50% of the book left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wish I could have ignored it, but unfortunately that’s all I kept thinking about and this is what brought the book down for me. Even so, I will always think warmly of Cooper and Jace.