ChristinasLair

Christina

Glitterland - Alexis Hall My take on this book is exactly the same as my first update. I have two major issues. First, was the use of the purple/lyrical prose. I can tolerate it if it enhances the story. For example, in Scrap Metal the lyrical prose added to the atmosphere and the feel, which in turn brought you further into the story. Everything came alive, but in this book it doesn't fit the nature of the story. Ash is bi-polar depressive and the prose pulled me out of the story and the darkness that surrounds Ash and this illness. It also didn't fit the dialogue, which is where this book shines. The dialogue flows naturally, it's sharp and gives us plenty of laughs. So you have this down to earth dialogue versus Ash's flowery and sweet inner thoughts. It didn't mesh. Secondly, the phonetically written Essex accent. This was irritating and again yanked me right out of the story.

I liked all the characters, even the women! Although Ash used his illness and came off as selfish and a sarcastic ass, I still liked him and thought he was an interesting character. As far as Darian goes, I liked him but he didn't have the depth as Ash's character did. He's the cookie-cutter, lower class MC, that seems to accept Ash no matter what. I would have liked more development with him. Last but certainly not least, my favorite side character was Niall. Yes, at times he was terrible to Ash but from what little we've been told, he also went through his own hell with Ash. There's so much more than meets the eye with him and I want more!!!!

All and all this was a good story and I would definitely read more from Hall.