ChristinasLair

Christina

When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1) - Julio-Alexi Genao
2.5 stars

Close to a three so I'm rounding up.

This story was beautifully written and I enjoyed the world. Admittedly, I have a difficult time with short stories because I always find myself wanting more and they never captivate enough to completely sweep me away.

Having said that, I liked this story but I wanted to know more about the assassination and the company Antho worked at. Also, more about Antho himself. I got that he was lonely and there seemed to be something more pushing him to help this man, but what was it? I kept wavering on this point. Was there something more driving Antho or was it some weird obsession? I still keep going back and forth because I saw both, the vulnerable Antho putting his own fears aside trying to help this unknown man and then there was the strange fixation he had on him. I think if more of Antho's past was given, I would have accepted the former but there wasn't enough for me to completely believe it.

Hopefully we can get more of the story for me to fill in the blanks and to believe in Antho's intentions. For now, they're up in the air.