ChristinasLair

Christina

Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan Sadly this really didn't work for me.

1 star for Tony - loved him!
1 star for the World - (town where everyone co-exists, gays, lesbians, bi's, drag-queen/quarterback and Joy Scouts).

The story is told in first person from Paul's POV. Paul is a gay high school student who's dealing with all the "fun" that high school tends to bring, seeing his ex-boyfriend on a daily basis, enduring all the drama his friends can dredge up in a day, and also falling for the new boy in town. The biggest problem I had was that I didn't connect with Paul. He speaks to the readers but there's nothing left to the imagination. He's completely robotic with very little emotion.

I also felt like the author was trying too hard to get his points across. The humor, the characters, the writing style, even the world felt forced. What really bothered me the most was the split in Paul's character. On one hand we have Paul, talking to his friend in a secret language and passing notes in the hallway, but then we have the overly "mature" Paul who's saying and thinking things like this:

I find my greatest strength in wanting to be strong. I find my greatest bravery in deciding to be brave....If there's no feeling of fear, then there's no need for courage.

...and I tell him all my thoughts-from the goofy to the sublime, the ridiculous to the tired-and-true.

Maybe it's just me but I don't remember any 15 year old talking this way. Some of Levithan's prose are beautiful but they just don't fit in this story.

There was some cute moments and many eye-rolling moments.

I really hope Tony gets his own book.

Thanks for the buddy read Laura!