ChristinasLair

Christina

Bloodraven - P.L. Nunn
Yhalen is a Ydregi, a magic forest dweller who follows their Goddess of nature. He's captured by a group of ogres and enslaved by the leader of the group, Bloodraven who is half ogre/half human. I loved this world and I was drawn into the characters instantly.

This book cuts no punches. It contains brutal rape and torture scenes. And I don't mean a quick one page description. This was detailed pain and agony that went on and on. However, these scenes were necessary for the story.

What irritated me was that we didn't get much history regarding these two races. Although some detail was filled in along the way, it wasn't enough for my liking. I wanted to know more about the Ydregi and if they had any previous encounters with the ogres or humans. It seemed like all three races lived in this world and we get to know them separately but I never felt like they had any encounters before this story.

I enjoyed all the characters. This wasn't an easy road for Yhalen and Bloodraven. What I loved was the struggle they had with their feelings and even in the end they still had some confusion with what was happening between them. This isn't an insta love story but a story about two people who find they have much more in common than they realize and find a connection with each even if they can't explain or define it.

The other issue I had was the ending. I felt Bloodraven could have made more of an effort to find out what was going on with Yhalen. It didn't seem natural for someone who supposedly wanted him back. I wanted a bit more to the ending, it was good but not enough closure for my liking.