ChristinasLair

Christina

Slam! - J.L. Merrow Let me start off by saying I've read a few of Merrow's other works and loved them. I'm going to make this brief because there are so many issues that I could sit and complain about and I am completely worn out from reading this book. It was boring and tiring. There was nothing going on to make this worth the read.

Jude is whiny, rude, and obnoxious. I've been known to like obnoxious characters from time to time and in the beginning of this book, I thought Jude was kind of funny but by 30% he turned into an immature brat. He was either pouting or "ewwing" all the time! Yes, pouting was used 24 times (thanks Kate for looking it up) and I get that he's young but that doesn't mean he should act like a 15 year old.

There was zero chemistry between Jude and David. All we get is that Jude wants the hot older man and well, nothing from David. I typically like when there's an age difference in the MC's but the author made such a big deal about it that it felt not only contrived but also sordid. I felt like the author was beating me over the head with this big "sin". There was an age difference between the MC's and also between Jude's mother and her boyfriend, there was the big lie covering the mother's true age, the misunderstanding that a 50 year old was Jude's boyfriend, and all the eye-rolling age comments. It never ended.

I also thought the limericks were corny and didn't add anything to the story. Last but not least was the spirit of the ex-boyfriend that never went away. He was in Jude's limerick's, Jude wouldn't dine in a restaurant because he was there, and he was a constant reminder that another person left Jude. Was this suppose to make me feel bad for Jude because his ex cheated on him and left? All it served was to irritate me more that Jude couldn't let it go.

Bottom line, I thought everything felt forced, including Jude's personality.