ChristinasLair

Christina

Break and Enter - Rachel Haimowitz, Aleksandr Voinov I really enjoyed the tech aspects of the book. It was fun without being overbearing. Although I liked the world, I wanted more character development, especially with Bear. I liked both characters and I knew they were attracted to each other and came to care for one another but I didn't feel their connection. I thought the relationship was a bit rushed. I could see Bear's fascination with Cyke and Cyke's need for comfort but their emotions towards the end were not believable. I especially had a problem with Cyke's urgency to find Bear after he was released from the hospital. I couldn't understand his feelings because there was nothing that lead up to this type of need, except for a couple of sex scenes. Then Cyke finds Bear and he's ready to collapse from exhaustion and pain, but he can still have sex? So ok, I could accept this since the authors made a point of showing Bear's objections with it and coming up with rationalizations. However, what I couldn't accept was that all of a sudden they have this deep emotional connection that seemed to come out of nowhere. We were told that they had spent time together prior to Cyke's last break-in but we never saw it, so I didn't feel the growth in their relationship.

I also wished we got a bit more world-building outside of Cyke's enhancements. It felt like I started reading in the middle of the book - like several pieces were missing. I wanted to know more about Sentinel Tech and I also wanted to see more of Cyke on his missions.

Even with these few issues, I still liked the book and the characters. I just wished the relationship and the characters had been developed as well as the tech aspects.