ChristinasLair

Christina

Scrap Metal - Harper Fox 3.5 Stars

Despite the slow start, I ended up enjoying this for what it was: a beautifully written but simple story. Fox has a way of sucking you in. I felt like I was standing at Seacliff Farm, surrounded by cliffs and water. The rain, the flowers, the trees - the scenery came alive. Fox immersed you with her words. Even the scents and sounds were an integral part of the storytelling. This descriptive world set the atmosphere and feel for the story.

The issue is that the characters weren't as intricate as the settings. I liked Nichol and Cam well enough but there was nothing that special about them. Harry (Nichol's Granda), on the other hand, was a fun character. He is set in his ways and stubborn. There were no warm and heartfelt discussions sitting around the family table with Granda at the head, although it did make for some enjoyably tense moments.

There was a completely authentic feel throughout most of the story. I loved the Gaelic phrases and the ghost visits. It all added another layer to the to the already vivid world. However, the ending was too contrived for my taste, as the various conflicts were resolved a bit too neatly. Cam also got on my nerves with his constant penitent attitude towards the end.

Although I liked this book, at times the lyrical prose tending to get on my nerves.