ChristinasLair

Christina

How to Repair a Mechanical Heart - J.C. Lillis
4.5 Stars

I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said in all the 4 and 5 star reviews. All I can add is that this story happily brought out my inner geek and put a big fat smile on face. There was so much enjoyment, from the fandom culture, the road trip, the geeky SciFi love, the engaging characters, and the writing. Yet, it wasn't all peaches and cream. Brandon was dealing with some serious guilt and he had a desperate need for acceptance. He was constantly holding on to a facade. You could feel the heavy curtain of despair. The author did a fantastic job of balancing this. Brandon's use of the fanfiction to gather his courage, the Church of Abandon, and the "signs" were skillfully used by the author to help Brandon cope and discover a road in his life that he could possibly be happy following.

The only little issue I had was that at times the characters felt younger than they really were, especially Brandon. He was a bit naive and the pull/push of his religious struggle was a little heavy handed.

Overall, this was funny and clever. The author brought humor and tenderness to the story. The characters and the issues truly felt authentic.

Highly recommended!