ChristinasLair

Christina

I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier - Crystal Rose
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier is a story about friendship and love. The plot is simple and uncomplicated but satisfying. The writing was also simplistic for that matter. If you're looking for a lighthearted and humorous love story, this is for you. No dark and gritty overtones here. Ryan Gracin joins the US army and meets his scary-ass but oh so sexy Drill Sergeant, Phillip Grabowski. The first half of the book is from Ryan's perspective. Ryan goes through basic training alongside Brendon, Patrick, and Kenneth who quickly become life-long friends. This is not just a story about Ryan and Phillip but the bonds all these men share in a military family. In fact, there were times I wanted the focus to be solely on Ryan and Phillip since that's what I expected. Their relationship was a very slow build up. However, when I realized that this story was about more than just them, I was able to accept it for what it is - a story about comradeship and family.

What I did have a problem with was that you didn't always know what Ryan and Phillip were feeling. I knew they were both sexually attracted to one another but nothing went beyond that for most of the book. Was it just sex? Did they want more? What were their aspirations for the future? I would have liked more descriptions and the characters to be more introspective. Because of this I sometimes thought their personalities blended a little, including the side characters. They all seemed to have the same "voice".

It was also strange to have the POV change to one of the side characters. Once I realized the voice change I was ok with it because the side characters were such a large focus of the book anyway.

Oh and if you don't know military lingo you may have to look up some of the military acronyms. Many were described, but not all of them.

Even with these issues I still enjoyed the story. This was light and fun.