ChristinasLair

Christina

Skybound - Aleksandr Voinov This was completely captivating. I'm not a fan of short stories but this was jam-packed with emotion. It left me speechless. The writing was simply beautiful, poetry on every page.

The story is set in Germany at the end of WW II. The Allies are bringing down what remains of the Third Reich. The story is told in the first person present from Felix's POV. Felix is a mechanic who works day and night to ensure the planes are ready for battle and to keep fighter pilot Baldur Vogt safe and secure in his fighter aircraft. The end is near and both of these men know it. Even though Felix feels helpless waiting for Baldur to return from his missions, all he can do is make sure his plane is strong and reliable.

They're surrounded by despair and hopelessness but intimacy and love is never that far away. You can feel their connection without them saying a word. You're drawn into the intensity of the situation. There's no time left and every moment they have is precious. All these emotions are swirling around and even through all this, Felix finds strength and the tiniest bit of hope. This is what I cling to.

The imagery came alive. The sky, whether it be filled with fear or hope, the planes, the fighting, it all and had me wondering will they be flying towards their deaths or will their love actually have a chance to leave the ground and soar.

There are so many lines that I loved, I don't know if I can pick. All I'm going to say is this is highly recommended so go read it!