ChristinasLair

Christina

A Chip in His Shoulder - L.A. Witt 2.5 Stars

I really enjoyed the premise of this story and the world building was good but it probably could have been so much better as a full length novel. I loved the sci-fi/fantasy/dystopian feel to the story, unfortunately the characters fell short. The potential is all here but it left me with more questions. First, I have no idea where vampires fit in to the story arc. We got little to no information about them. Were they a result from the split in the society somehow? Was Liam turned or born a vamp?

I also got the feeling that everything was thrown at us. The ideas were all excellent just underdeveloped. How did this split in society occur? Who got the mods? What role did they play in the split, if any? How did Daniel's father react to what happened with his plan? He's the reason why Liam was sent after Daniel and then we get nothing regarding the father. Lots of questions but no answers.

My biggest disappointment was in the relationship between Liam and Daniel. I liked the characters separately, especially Liam but nothing about them felt like a couple. There was disconnected and I felt the relationship was rushed.

The world was fascinating so I hope we learn more about it.