ChristinasLair

Christina

Counterpunch - Aleksandr Voinov I really enjoyed this book. Brooklyn is an ex cop turned boxer who is also a slave. While on duty, Brooklyn killed a protester and was sentenced to slavery.

I just love Mr. Voinov's writing style. I was a little worried because I don't like boxing and books with slavery themes tend to get me a bit apprehensive BUT I was completely sucked in. Brooklyn is an amazingly developed character. He is a strong and tormented man who completely draws you into his world. He has no voice, no choices, no life of his own. He is told when to train, when to eat, and when to sleep. At all times he has a guard hovering over him. He is also rented out for sexual favors. This is his fate in life until Nathaniel purchases his services/body for the night. Nathaniel always seemed a bit of a mystery character to me. Maybe that's how he was suppose to be, not really sure but I always felt that he had some ulterior motive that was borderline sinister. In the end it becomes clearer. I really liked their relationship. It opened Brooklyn up in so many ways. Most of all it gave him hope.

The only two issues I had was that I didn't get to know Nathaniel more and I also felt the ending came to quick. Not to spoil the ending but I had hoped we would have seen Brooklyn's finally thoughts in a conversation between him and Nathaniel. Of course, this was my first reaction when I finished the book but as I pondered over it a bit, it made sense to end it with Brooklyn's final thoughts since it was his journey we followed. It was very sweet ending.

Even though this book has such dark undertones, Brooklyn was able to make me smile. There were many heart-felt moments. Definitely a wonderful read.