ChristinasLair

Christina

Incursion - Aleksandr Voinov
I'm a big fan of sci-fi, so needless to say Mr. Voinov's world totally intrigued me. The world parallels that of Dark Edge of Honor with the added bonus of shape-shifters and lots of space travel. Everything came alive, from the ship to the character's feelings and reactions. This was fun ride.

The story is told from Kyle's POV. Kyle was injured in the line of duty and left paralyzed. He cannot see beyond his "dead meat". He's stuck in a world of self-pity and where he has "become" his injury. When he's offered a mission to find a Glyrinny spy, he can't turn it down knowing that the money for the bounty will lead to cyberware and a chance for a new life. On his mission he meets the captain of the Scorpion, Grimm. I loved Grimm! He's confident, fun, and wants Kyle. He looks beyond Kyle's injury and sees "him". He totally won my heart. Oh and Winter was a kick ass character.

My only issue is that it was too short. I wish there was a bit more action. I guess being a passenger on the Scorpion had me expecting some run-ins with more aliens :) I typically have a hard time with shorter stories because I always want more and I can definitely say this one left me wanting.

Once again the writing was superb. There's so much that I'll take away from this book. What stood out was the concept of "BECOMING". One small word but damn did it pack a punch. Acceptance, physical attributes vs. the inner being, love......

Some of my favorite quotes that struck me:

"It's never too late for redemption. How you were does not rule who you've become."

"You are yourself. But who you will be is a wide-open field."

He understood it then. The potential, the utter, unbelievable freedom to be whoever existed underneath his skin.

He was a new man, vulnerable and hopeful, and truly on the way to becoming himself.

I hope we can visit this world again!