ChristinasLair

Christina

American Love Songs - Ashlyn Kane

This book made me happy. It doesn't have an adrenaline pumping intensity but it has a quiet strength to it. Many of my friends described it as a sweet comfort read and I have to agree. The plot is simple and has an easy flow to it. We follow the day to day life of Jake, a guy from Kansas who’s in a small-town band and wants nothing more than to become a rock-star and make it big. I love Jake’s “voice” and the blog updates. It was fun and entertaining.

What I loved the most was that all the guys felt real and the story unfolded with such ease. There was an extremely slow build-up to the romantic aspect of Jake and Parker’s relationship but that didn't bother me at all. I was so invested in Jake and his life that I didn't care.   The only issue I had was

I thought Jake was a little dense not to realize Parker was gay sooner than when it came out. I realize Jake is young and he never really reflects too deeply on any given situation but I wish we got a little more of Jake contemplating this. It would have made it more realistic.

(show spoiler)

This is a book that I will definitely re-visit and that has made my go-to-happy shelf!