ChristinasLair

Christina

Between Sinners and Saints - Marie Sexton

This was a solid 4.5 stars pushing 5, up until the very last couple of chapters. Grrr....
Even so, I still really enjoyed this book.

I connected to the characters instantly. I think the author did a very good job in dealing with Jaime's past. I felt every bit of his turmoil without it being OTT. On the other hand, the religious aspects of the story got a bit preachy and heavy-handed. Plus, most of Levi's family were sanctimonious and I always felt like Levi was getting attacked. Their disapproval was disheartening. I understand and see how these issues would bother a lot of people. However, Levi's family didn't turn me off to the story. I had a difficult time dealing with how they treated Levi but I accepted the fact that this is how many families are. It's sad but true.

Here's my major complaint:

at the end, it upset me that Jamie's sexual abuse was used as a way for Levi's father to accept their relationship. We all know his family believes homosexuality is a sin but using Jamie's abuse to prove that homosexuality is "less of a sin" doesn't sit well with me. I think the author went wrong here. It would have been better if the situation with Levi's father was dropped. It would have been more realistic. Some of Levi's family were already coming around. Levi should have stood by his love for Jamie without the "excuse" or the explanation of why his love for Jamie is justified. There is no need for a justification! He deserves to love who he wishes.

(show spoiler)

This will definitely go in my re-read pile, skipping the little visit at the end :)