ChristinasLair

Christina

Unhinge the Universe - Aleksandr Voinov, L.A. Witt

I have mixed feelings about this one. I enjoyed the historical backdrop and the romance, but unfortunately a few things fell short. First and foremost, I wish we saw more of John and Hagen in enemy mode. They are sworn enemies and it constantly felt like they were right on the edge of real animosity, but they never took that leap. Their hatred seemed watered down and nothing unexpected really happened. The interrogations were a bit trite, and everything fell into place way too easily.

As far as the characters go, it was one sided for me. All the love goes to Hagen. Beyond the fact that John's an interrogator, there wasn't much else to him. There were many references of John breaking Hagen but in reality it didn't take much. I really wanted more of their mind games and something to back up the fact that John was suppose to be this cruel and callous interrogator, because it never fully came through. The mind games and the sexual play never pushed the boundaries.

Hagen, on the other hand, has this vulnerable, innocent quality to him. He continuously struggles with his loyalty to the SS versus his integrity as a person. There were some really great moments with Hagen. I loved when he remembered

his brother telling him how their world is changing and not to throw his life away for something he cannot change or reverse. Powerful words that saved Hagen more than once. Another powerful moment was when Hagen removed the Iron Cross. That gave me chills.

(show spoiler)

Even though I enjoyed the romance aspect the story, I still felt some uneasiness in the beginning. Their instant attraction and lust took over and everything else seemed to fall by the wayside. I really wanted the bitterness and anger to last longer than it had, but there was no doubt about the passion they felt for each other and sparks flew when they were together.

Basically, I enjoyed the book but certain aspects only seemed to brush the surface when I was hoping for more.