ChristinasLair

Christina

Bareback - Chris Owen

Nope, this book was not for me. As many reviewers have said, the first 50% - 60% was all sex. This would be ok, if the sex advanced the plot or the characters, but it didn't. Plus, it was boring, and as you can imagine, repetitive. Once any semblance of a plot appeared, it didn't matter because I didn't care about either of the characters. I thought the so-called problems Jake and Tor had were inadequately portrayed. There were a couple of references of Jake ignoring Tor's tantrums, and of course there was very little communication, but we didn't see much first hand.

Then all of a sudden, after years of being in involved, Tor cheats.

(show spoiler)

At this point, I still didn't have an emotional connection to either Tor or Jake, and because the author skipped ahead in time and bypassed years of their relationship, I felt this was thrown in for shock value more than anything else.

I thought Jake's reaction felt genuine, and I'm glad he took some responsibility, but it felt forced and very unlike Jake. It's one thing to see your faults and acknowledge them, but Jake seemed to take full responsibility and that is just ridiculous. Then at the end, the author tries to shift the blame off Tor even more? That was the last straw. I don't want to be pushed into how I should feel about a character, and that's what I felt this author was doing. Both men had baggage, and both men screwed up, that's it.

I will now wash my hands of Tor and Jake :)