ChristinasLair

Christina

Memorizing You - Dan Skinner

This is such a heartbreakingly beautiful book. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but what it does have is heart. David is just coming into his own and we get an introspective view of his journey, through both love and pain.

This is a coming of age story set in the late 60's, early 70's. It's about coming to terms with your sexuality, a first kiss, fear, hope, friendship, family, and an all-consuming first love. It's all this and more. The imagery comes alive. Around every corner there are messages to be heard and lessons to be learned. The beauty of it all, is that it's not preachy or in your face. It's unobtrusive, but poignant. The writing is eloquent and has an almost poetic quality to it, without being too flowery. It sucked me in completely. So why the half star off? Well, I found that it dragged in a few places and it was a bit rushed in others. I wanted to see more of

David dealing with Ryan's accident and more after he was gone.

(show spoiler)

Other than that it was perfect and I loved it!